Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How Big is Your 'BUT'?

This year has been really tough and looking back at what I had planned and what I have actually achieved, I can feel my BUT growing bigger and bigger with each item on the list.

You know the story: I wanted to start a vegetable garden, BUT I forgot to water the plants and they all died. I wanted to redecorate my daughter's room and it is 90% done, BUT I ran out of paint and haven't got around to buying more. I was going to get up early and exercise everyday, BUT my bed is just too comfortable. I wanted to lose some weight, BUT I just like food too much.
For every uncompleted task, there is a BUT that allows us to feel okay about the fact that it didn't get done. This is not necessarily a bad thing, if it is a genuine case of needing to re-assess priorities vs time, then obviously it is important to make some adjustments. The danger comes in when we use BUT to excuse not doing the things that need to get done, because of limiting beliefs, fear or downright laziness. The danger of BUT is that it allows us to downsize our dreams, to do things on a small scale because then we never need to leave our comfort zone.
How many times a day do you use BUT? I hate my job, BUT I can’t get another one! I would go to the beach, BUT I hate the way my body looks. I’d love to learn Latin American dancing, BUT I’m too old.

What if you changed your ‘but’ to ‘and’? I hate my job and I’m going to reskill so I can do something I love. I want to go to the beach and watch the sunrise. I’d love to learn Latin American dancing and I’m going to try something new.

So as you plan for the year ahead and write down that list of everything that you would like to do or achieve over the next twelve months, add in the ‘buts’ now. You know what they are. What are you most likely going to be telling yourself at the end of the year, when the job hasn’t been done? Find the most common ‘buts’ and make a commitment to change those to an ‘and’. Don’t let limiting beliefs, fear or laziness become the reason why you downscale your dreams of a better life.

Dream those big dreams and be creative about finding a way to make them happen. Get out of your comfort zone and try new things. Face your fears and find a personal strength that you never knew you had. Look at what you value and make sure that your choices are in line with what is important to you. Make this a year of ‘ands’ and get an instant ‘but reduction’.

No comments:

Post a Comment