Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Is your glass half full or half empty, or do you need to change the glass?

Whether you see your glass as half full or half empty is the traditional test to determine whether you are an optimist or a pessimist. I always like to think of myself as a pragmatist: the glass is the wrong size, so get a different glass.

But how does this apply to our lives?

I see the contents of the glass as the contents of my life and the glass as the context that I rate those contents.

So in the glass half full life: I have a bigger house than I had 10 years ago. I have more time to myself, my family relationships are better, I have a career that I love, I have an income that meets all my needs and there is left over for luxuries.

In a glass half empty life: I don’t have my dream car, I don’t have my dream house, I can’t afford to go away on holiday whenever I want, running my own business means I have to deal with admin that I hate, my family lives too far away to make visiting convenient.

But how can you change the size of the glass?

Pretend for a minute that you are a billionaire.
Imagine that you spent a year buying everything that you think you would want, new cars, new clothes, property, doing all the things that you’ve always wanted do, but didn’t have the money for.
NOW, write down an ordinary day in your diary, starting from when you got up in the morning until you went to bed.

How much of this are you doing already?
How much of this could you be doing without being a billionaire?
How much of your life are you putting on hold because you think you need something more to get the enjoyment out of it, when really you just need to do it?

So go out there and start living your billionaire’s life. Start appreciating all the things that money really cannot buy. Be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment